Tuesday, March 3, 2009

3 - Bulldog

Our friend Ben introduced us to Bulldog back in the day when he still lived in Kansas City. The menu hasn't changed much, and that's a good thing, because the options they have for vegetarians and vegans are delicious and fun. Tonight the service was a little less than perfect, they were clearly short-staffed. But the food was worth the wait. Their veggie burger, which I hadn't had before, was great. I think my favorite thing was the bun, it was toasted to perfection.
Tonight I ordered a salad instead of fries. Just because it's a veggie burger, it doesn't mean you can be careless! Sure, you save yourself the cholesterol, but you still have to be mindful about the calories - especially when you have a metabolism as slow as mine.
During these 31 days, I'm making every effort to keep 31 veggie burgers from becoming 31 additional pounds. In order to accomplish this, I'm sticking to a strict exercise schedule. Monday nights I do treadmill for an hour. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I practice karate two hours a day. Wednesdays I have weight training and yoga. And on the seventh day, I rest.
Of course, this isn't just because of the veggie burgers. This is an ongoing journey toward fitness, which started last June, when I got serious about cycling. While the weather was still agreeable, I was riding up to 30 miles at a time. In August, I started karate training, and then as it got colder and I couldn't ride my bike, I took on weight training and yoga. All of that exercise, in addition to calorie counting, has enabled me to lose 30 pounds. In the last few months, I've exercised more than I ever did in my life, and I'm feeling great.
It's only day three and this veggie burger adventure has already been more fun than I ever imagined. I've enjoyed everything, finding new restaurants, planning my calendar, making the videos and most of all, reading people's comments. I'm glad this adventure took me back to Bulldog. I'm not really sure why I stopped going there, but I'll certainly be back!

Bulldog on Urbanspoon




3 comments:

Lindsey Joy said...

The big question is what are you going to do on day eleven? You won't have enough fingers... ok, ok... but really, I am enjoying these posts and I wish we could come up to KC so I could try my first real veggie burger with you!

Sergio said...

Oh Lindsey, you guys should really come visit! We could have so much fun hanging out, cooking together and stuff. Thanks for your comments, it makes the whole project so much more fun!

Gretchen said...

Let me know when you wanna go for veggie burgers in South Florida!