Thursday, March 12, 2009

12 - Eden Alley

The first veggie burger I ate in Kansas City was at Eden Alley. That was a little over five years ago, when I had just become a vegan. Up until recently, Eden Alley was the only place in the city where a vegan could go and have a dozen or so items to pick from off a menu. And that doesn't even include the desserts! It is without a doubt my favorite restaurant in Kansas City.
It had been a very long time since I had ordered the veggie burger at Eden Alley. The only reason for that, at least that I can think of, is that they always have so many wonderful options on the menu and, well, as this project is revealing, there are a lot of places where one can find a veggie burger. Aside from providing vegan and vegetarian fare, Sandi Corder-Clootz and Greg Clootz, owners of Eden Alley, are committed to local and organic food, with much of their produce coming from local and independent farmers. They also have started offering a great number of raw, gluten-free and soy-free items.
Up until recently I kept a very strict vegan diet (I have now accepted cheeses into my life) and while I could go out for dinner at a great number of places, I usually had to refrain from dairy and egg-laden desserts. Eden Alley has always been a place where a vegan has the happy choice of not one, but an assortment of vegan desserts. And for that, Eden Alley will always have a special place in my heart.
Next time you're in the Plaza area, do yourself a flavor and eat at Eden Alley. And, if you like to cook, or know someone who does, pick up a copy of Sandi's fresh off the press cookbook, Stirwell to Heaven. Happy veggie burgers!

Eden Alley on Urbanspoon




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be curious to sample a vb or two next time we are in KC, as I remember Eden Alley's burger as the best vb I've tasted in my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience.

Sergio said...

I'll be curious to know WHEN you're coming to KC!! Would love to see you and share some VBs :)

Anonymous said...

I think all KC veggies feel the same about Eden Alley! You've convinced me to order the veggie burger there next time!