Tuesday, March 31, 2009

31 - Chef Burger

It seems like only yesterday I was standing in front of the Hereford House launching my veggie burger adventure. The backdrop of a burned-down steak house seemed to me a deliciously poignant symbol of my absolute disinterest in meat (but I swear, I didn't start the fire!). The following day I would embark on my journey, to hungrily go where no veggie burger fan had gone before.
Having the last of my 31 veggie burgers at Chef Burger was a decision I made early on. It only made sense to end my undertaking at the place where the idea was born. From the very first time I visited Chef Burger on their opening week, I fell in love with the place. It is a fun dining environment with tasty burgers and shakes. The falafel burger quickly became a standard of mine, but then one day it was sadly and inexplicably dropped from the menu. Fortunately, they continued to offer a black bean veggie patty, which is no match for the legendary falafel burger, but still packs a punch in any of their burger combinations.
The fact that I'm so sad that this has come to an end makes me feel really silly. I mean, it's just veggie burgers, right? But then again, it was more than just veggie burgers. The blog and daily trips quickly turned into an opportunity to connect with friends and family as well as make new friends. It became a daily celebration of the simple things in life, the simple things that bring us closer to what really matters in life ... people.

Chef Burger on Urbanspoon

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sergio! You cannot just end it you know... you have loyal readers for whom it has been a nightly delight to take 5 minutes and connect with you and your delightful project. Chef Burger looks like a great place, but maybe not my favorite of the 31 VBs. Lie to us, please tell us you will continue this maybe once a month or so...
It was fun sharing this time with you, hearing your voice and even cooking anf eating with you. A great way to draw nearer to those of us who love and admire you.
Joyce / Mama

Lindsey Joy said...

the last of 31...tear. i have really enjoyed watching all your posts and connecting with you and e via your blogs. i do hope that you will post every now and then. thanks for all the fun! love you both!

Jeanee said...

You did go to Chef Burger... yay!

Congrats on 31 days of veggie burgers!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't stop. You are just getting warmed up. Take some vitamins and carry that veggie banner high. Go dude.

Chris said...

Detox time. What's next?

Jessica said...

I got started on this blog late, but I watched all the installments, and I loved them! They're so fun. They've also started me on an as-yet-unfulfilled quest for the perfect lentil burger recipe. I'll let you know how that goes.

Felicidades, and I hope you two do more foodie blogging soon! Maybe next could be desserts? 31 egg-free cookies? I can has?

Amanda said...

Oh! I can't believe it's over. I've so enjoyed traveling along with you every day. Maybe you need to do a wrap up vlog with maybe your top 5 places for vb? I'd be interested to know where your very favorites were. I haven't eaten at all the places, but I still say Blanc remains supreme in my book!

Johnna said...

I second the previous suggestion of maybe seeking out a VB a month or taking on another 31 project! Congratulations on the journey!

Anonymous said...

....and he walked off into the sunset, pondering his next foodie adventure blog....

thanks for all of the smiles, laughs, and great restaurant recommendations, sergio and emily!!

Anonymous said...

p.s. sergio, listen to your mama (see her above comment). :O)

Jon and Erin said...

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

"Hello... It's Me Again..." said...

I, too, agree with your mother!!!! Keep vlogging!!!!!!

I hooked!

Sergio said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, everybody. I really appreciate you taking the time to stop by and say such nice things. In fact, reading your comments has been my favorite thing all along. I'm still going to put a few 31VB posts up (i.e. Top 10 and Emily's Index). So, stay tuned :)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't wait to go and eat one of those 31 veg burgers once I got home from my drug rehabhttp://www.stopaddiction.com/index.php/Oklahoma/

Jollibee Philippine said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. Anyway, I'm been looking for topics as interesting as this. Looking forward to your next post.


-fern-