Wednesday, March 4, 2009

4 - The Foundry

This was my first of several visits to Westport that will take place over the course of this month. Westport has the highest concentration of veggie burgers in Kansas City. Within just a few blocks, you can enjoy a delicious veggie burger at more restaurants than you would expect. Tonight I ate the "Mean Joe Green" veggie burger at The Foundry, and I must say that aside from a slight structural misfortune (the patty was a bit crumbly) it was delicious - the flavor and texture were distinct and memorable. The burger came with a generous serving of avocados and pico de gallo, for which my taste buds were sufficiently grateful.
Being in Kansas City's veggie burger epicenter tonight made me think of how easy it has been to be a vegan and a vegetarian in this great town of ours. When I became a born again veggie, five and a half years ago, we were worried that our dining options might be drastically reduced. Then, when a couple of months later I decided to go vegan, we thought for sure we'd never be able to eat out again. But much to our surprise, we have never had a shortage of options. For being a Midwestern cowtown, we have an amazing number of veggie-friendly and veggie-adaptable restaurants in town. In addition to that, we have at our disposal a wonderful repository of all things veg*n in VegKansasCity.com.
One of my objectives in undertaking this most worthy endeavor of mine is to pay homage to all the veggie-friendly bars and restaurants that are kind enough to think of people like me. Most of the places I'm visiting are local establishments and even today I've learned of a couple more local purveyors of veggie burgers. Kansas City vegetarians and omnivores alike should be proud of this great city of ours, where we can eat, drink and be merry, regardless of dietary orientation. The Foundry, only in its infancy, is a shining example of this. And they also have great deals on Wednesdays.

ps. In case you were wondering, the beautiful music at Blayney's tonight was provided by Elaine McMilian and Scott Easterday.

The Foundry on Urbanspoon




7 comments:

Emily said...

Sergio, I think YOU are the epicenter of veggie burgers in KC. :)

And I concur - The Foundry's VB was really tasty!

Scot said...

I've only made to the Foundry once since they've been open but I liked it quite a bit. And I thought the Mean Joe Green was pretty tasty as well!

Oh, and I believe Emily is right about your prominence in all things KC veggie burger-related. I know I consider you THE authority on the issue. And that's just after four days! By day 31 I think you should given some sort of veggie burger knighthood!

That Pink Girl said...

Hello! Your cuz Beto in Dallas showed me your blog. What a fun way to commemorate your b-day! Do you have Red Robin in your area? If so, check out the cheeseburger with the Boca patty. Yummo!
Looking forward to your reviews...

Lindsey Joy said...

no mustard?? yay for a little variety!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, and am already sad about the end of March... please think of something for your followers for April. Also, remember your homeland... in Mexico nobody would dream of eating a burger of any kind without jalapeƱos. Joyce (your mother)

Anonymous said...

and on the fourth day, sergio ordered fries!

i'm loving this blog, friend!!

Anonymous said...

I went to the Foundry after the St. Patty's Day run today, and was dissapointed to find out from the waitress that the "Mean Joe Green" was not vegan (they make it with cheese). I'm sure it's still delicious...although I'll have to take your word for it :)