Tuesday, March 10, 2009

10 - Chappell's

What a fun place Chappell's turned out to be. And I don't even know a thing about sports! The restaurant is packed - and I mean packed - with all kinds of sports memorabilia. From the dozens of football helmets hanging from the ceiling to the bats, gloves, and pictures on the walls. If I were a sports fan, this would probably have to be my favorite place in town.
At Chappell's they have a number of burger options and they offer a black bean burger substitution with any of them. So, I chose the mushroom burger. This is the first mushroom burger I've had since I started my veggie burger bonanza. And it was absolutely tasty. I couldn't help but order the curly fries as my side and they were nice and crisp. (How do they get those fries to curl?)
I'm so happy this project has allowed me to find so many places I would never have known about. Chappell's was a recommendation from my fellow vegetarian Rick - it is located in the charming main strip of North Kansas City and isn't very far away from where I live. I am so grateful to have now found this place and to learn more about this part of town.

Chappell's Restaurant and Sports Museum on Urbanspoon




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pops wants a veggie burger at Chappell's the next time we come to KC. So far, I think I want one at Blue Bird, but I am waiting to see what develops over the next few days. -- Judy

Scot said...

We driven by Chappell's numerous times and I would never have guessed that they would have numerous veggie burger options. Thanks again for expanding our culinary options.

Oh, and I think this has been the funniest video clip so far. A comedy classic!

Emily said...

It's definitely a place "Pops" would like!

But here is something fun that Sergio couldn't report - the women's restroom (the men's restroom, too, I am told) was also full of sports paraphernalia including standard issue stuff - photos of Chris Everett and Martina Navratilova, an old Vassar flag, etc. But my faves were the SI cover story title "The Lady is an Ump" (which just begs for a close reading) and the photo of the 1937-8 basketball team at the Donnelly Garment Co., noteworthy in part because it wasn't labeled "Womens Basketball Team."

So much to see at Chappell's!

Chris said...

You should use this as a portfolio piece to get on the travel channel or food network or something. You're magnetic man!

Did Hallmark's spicy black bean veggie burger make your list?

Don't forget, we'll make you a home made one if you run out of dining establishments.

Jeanee said...

Sergio you should def. be on the travel channel food series!

I'm patiently waiting for you to go to Houston's. I can't wait to see how you like their veggie burger!

P.S. Hallmark's spicy black bean burger is Morning Star Farm's chipotle black bean burger. You can get a box of 12 at Costco! Just bought some myself on Monday. Yum yum!

Bess said...

Sergio-
This is great! I've wanted to go to Chappell's many times but haven't. (And I've always called it "Sha-pells." Now I know better.)

Jeanee-
Thanks for the headsup on the Crown Room's spicy black bean burger. I'm adding that to my shopping list!

I love this blog! I'm learning so much!

Sergio said...

Oh my goodness, comments, comments! You guys make my day. Thank you for keeping up with me and my silly veggie burger adventures.

Judy - I'm with you on Blue Bird, and we already decided we're taking you guys to Chappell's next time you're in town. We're gonna have to give Winford plenty of time though, there is a lot to see!

Scot - If you're anything like me, and I know I am, you'll love the mushroom burger :)

Emily - You should've taken the camera into the bathroom. Wait, scratch that. Anyway, I agree there is so much to see at Chappell's.

Chris - The Hallmark spicy black bean burger is on the list, although it keeps getting pushed to the bottom with all the great recommendations I keep getting. I'm looking forward to the home made veggie burger!!

Jeanee - I'm definitely going to Houston's, especially since you recommended it. Expect a special shout-out :)

Bess - I'm so happy I can be silly and educational at the same time. You would like Mr. Chappell, too, he was sitting at the bar when we left and waved goodbye at us. Nice guy.