Sunday, March 15, 2009

15 - Jazz

I have not been fortunate enough to visit New Orleans. But I suspect I got a little taste of it tonight at Jazz. There are a number of restaurants on 39th Street that I frequent, and I always was curious about Jazz. I guess I never imagined they'd have anything I could eat there. Well, fortunately enough, my friend Joe mentioned he had seen a veggie burger on the menu. So, of course I had to check it out.
The moment I walked in the door, I felt like I had left Kansas City and arrived in a little less landlocked place. The live music, provided by Rich Berry, was soulful, a little bit spicy and it really brought the place to life. The decor, the atmosphere and the crowd made me feel like I was about to have a good time. And I did.
Jazz doesn't have French fries (which I thought was a little funny, I mean, the French part). Instead, there were a number of sides to choose from such as hush puppies (which the waiter was kind enough to point out contain pork), cole slaw and okra. We had to have the okra. And by "we," I mean Emily. The burger was fine, but after I enhanced it with some voodoo sauce and seafood spices, it was perfect!
I still plan to visit New Orleans some day. But until then, Jazz will have to do!

Jazz on Urbanspoon




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, Dude! You are moving up quick in the urban spoon blog rankings!

Sergio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sergio said...

I know! It's funny how obsessed I am with the Urban Spoon ranking. I click 'refresh' every ten minutes. But blog #3 has 700 more views than me, so it probably won't happen anytime soon :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I have news for you: you HAVE been to New Orleans, and believe me, it was MEMORABLE. You were 3, your sister 1, safely strapped into her stroller. We meandered through the French Quarter, in and out of establishments. All of a sudden, we realized you were gone. Your Dad and I each thought the other one had you! After half an hour of wildly running through the streets and begging strangers for sightings, we found you, 3 blocks away from where we realized you were gone, happy in the arms of a very large policeman. Maybe you will go back someday. Don't lose anyone. Mom (Joyce)

Sergio said...

That's funny, I remember you telling me that story now. Although I certainly have no recollection of being in New Orleans and getting lost. I still want to go and visit.