Monday, March 23, 2009

23 - Burger King

Every day millions of people go to a drive through window, order a burger and get on with their day. But if you're looking for a veggie burger, your drive through options are rather limited. So limited, in fact, that I only know of one drive through window where you can get a veggie burger: Burger King. What for many is a quotidian activity, for a few becomes an extraordinary event.
The veggie burger at Burger King is exactly what you would expect. And I mean that in a good way. There is just something about fast food that always seems to excite my senses. I have many memories of visiting relatives in the U.S. and begging to be taken to McDonald's (we didn't get McDonald's in Mexico until I was in my teens). After wearing out my parents, I'd finally get my wish and it was as though they were taking me to Disneyland.
Smelling that mixture of salt, sugar and fat took me back to my childhood. Eating a burger and fries in the car took me back to college. And so, what had once been a bad habit became for one lunch break a very special treat. I'm impressed with Burger King for including this in their menu. And, I think that their competition would be wise to follow suit.

Burger King on Urbanspoon




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this episode! I take it Emily didn't want BK for dinner? :)

Sergio said...

Thanks Anne. It really was exciting, I was actually a little nervous. Emily picked up a salad from the cafe. But I think she stole one of my fries while I wasn't looking.

Scot said...

That's funny. Marla actually got a veggie burger from Burger King yesterday as well.
Great minds were thinking alike.

Emily said...

Yes, yes. I did have a crown room salad for lunch while Sergio ate his BK VB. But I tasted his burger and it was pretty good! I'd order one next time!

Johnna said...

Does Backyard Burgers still offer a VB at their drive through? I know they used to but I haven't been there in a couple of years.

dms said...

i love that they even have them on the menu at things like airports and rest stops on the PA turnpike. i can finally grab a quick, fairly tasty burger when i'm traveling!

love the list. getting hungry just reading it.